We have a unique opportunity for a DevOps Consultant to introduce and evangelise DevOps best practice to ensure our clients fully leverage technology for enhanced business value.
Best practice. What does this actually mean? What’s “best” for one company doesn’t always work for others, right? Well, not quite. Research has shown that there are certain practices that lead to happier, more productive development teams and environments, and it’s these that we are positively evangelistic about here at Armakuni.
Our focus is on enabling the flow of value through organisations, through a focus on the technology practice. Looking inwards, at a technical level, we do this by combining the practices of Software Craftsmanship, Agile/Lean, DevOps, Cloud Native architectures and infrastructures to create high quality, high velocity, sustainable engineering teams. Looking outwards, at the wider organisation, we interface with the wider business touchpoints for technology, finding the cross-organisational blockers to flow and driving technology driven solutions.
A day in the life:
Based primarily on client-site, Armakuni’s DevOps Consultants embed themselves within client teams, enabling them to share knowledge and implement ideas in a hands-on fashion. Day-to-day practices will typically include:
- Evangelise concepts such as clean code and microservice architecture, alongside Lean/XP practices such as TDD and Pair Programming, fundamentally improving the way our clients' teams build, deploy and run software
- Mentor client engineering teams in the adoption of new tools, technologies, techniques, patterns and processes
- Deliver and support world-class PaaS solutions composed of best-of-breed cloud native and CI/CD tools such as Cloud Foundry, PKS and Concourse
- Drive adoption of cloud native practices through whatever method is practical given the obstacles encountered
- Run and participate in workshops (inceptions) and stand-ups
- Represent Armakuni and be able to communicate our vision to client engineering teams, technical management and executives when required
What does good look like?
Armakuni fully appreciate that not many people are born with an innate ability to evangelise DevOps best practice, and this is why we offer a personalised learning journey to all our staff.
We find that successful DevOps Consultants have typically been either Developers or Systems Specialists themselves, but have realised that they now prefer leading and guiding teams in the adoption of new ideas and concepts. Typically their technical skill-set includes several of the following:
- A true passion for TDD/BDD or Test First development, and an understanding of the wider benefits such practices can bring to individuals, teams and organisations
- Experience of environments where software is deployed to cloud environments (eg. AWS, Google Cloud, Heroku, BOSH)
- Exposure to automation technologies such as CI/CD (Concourse etc.), BOSH and Terraform
- Strong communication skills - everyone at Armakuni is client-facing
- Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems
- Willingness to travel to client sites both nationally and internationally as needed
We offer the chance to be a part of a rapidly evolving technology-driven community; a team of like-minded experts in sharing their knowledge not just with clients but with each other. Perks include:
- Opportunities to learn and use a range of bleeding-edge technologies
- Regular training and informal/social knowledge sharing sessions
- Opportunities to visit and present at key conferences and industry events
- Great community vibe; whether out on-site or at our Shoreditch HQ we all keep in touch and share ideas
- Consulting environment free from sales and utilisation targets
- Weekly company-wide retros and demos
- Company stickers!
Of course we also make sure that you are well looked after offering highly competitive salaries plus an ever growing benefits package which currently includes:
- Annual training allowance
- BUPA Healthcare and Employee Assistance Programme
- Shiny new MacBook Pro
- Contributory pension
- 25 days holiday