Lean/XP Development Consultant
Best practice. What does this actually mean? What’s “best” for one company doesn’t always work for others, right? Well, not quite. Research (State of DevOps, DORA, Accelerate etc.) has shown that there are certain practices that lead to happier, more productive development teams and environments, and it’s these that we are positively evangelistic about here at Armakuni.
Dipping into our website, blog-posts, social media or even our Slack channel will show you that Lean/XP concepts such as Pair Programming, Test Driven Development and CI/CD are always at the forefront of our collective minds, as are technical subjects such as microservice architecture, automated deployment tools and Platform-as-a-Service. Together, it is these ideas which form our view of Cloud Native, which we like to call The Ak Way.
We don’t just evangelise these ideas and practices to our clients, we’re constantly developing our own capabilities through knowledge sharing, discussions and meet-ups. The Ak Way develops and evolves just as the increasingly technology-driven world around us does.
Nothing makes us happier than seeing our passion for all things Cloud Native spill over to our clients, enabling faster, more efficient development cycles run with less risk and lower costs.
A day in the life:
Based primarily on client-site, Armakuni’s Development Consultants embed themselves within client teams, enabling them to share knowledge and implement ideas in a hands-on fashion. Day-to-day practices will typically include:
- Pair Programming alongside client’s development teams in order to demonstrate and hone this oft-misunderstood practice
- Demonstrating and advising on the benefits of Test Driven Development, a practice many find daunting but one that can add tremendous value
- Identifying where teams could benefit from additional support and encouraging knowledge sharing in these areas
- Undertaking exemplar development projects in order to demonstrate the true value-add of XP practices to management teams
What does good look like?
Armakuni fully appreciate that not many people are born with an innate ability to evangelise software development best practice, and this is why we offer a personalised learning journey to all our staff.
We find that successful Development Consultants have typically been Developers themselves, but have realised that they now prefer leading and guiding teams in the adoption of new ideas and concepts. Typically their technical skill-set includes several of the following:
- A proven track record of software/application development with Ruby, Golang or Java
- Experience of automating deployment using CI/CD (bonus points for Concourse)
- Experience of Pair Programming and TDD - these skills are crucial in how we engage and work alongside our clients
- The ability to relay the positives and negatives of various tools, methodologies and ideas in a clear and constructive manner
- Strong communication and consulting skills - our teams are comfortable running workshops (inceptions)/standups
- Passion for growing and developing both technically and personally by tackling interesting work and challenging problems
If you have read up to here you have already shown the inquisitive nature we always look for in a colleague! Continuous learning and developing our own capabilities is a big part of what we do at Armakuni, and the need to be constantly evaluating and expanding is a trait which runs through us all.
We offer the chance to be a part of a rapidly evolving technology-driven community; a team of like-minded experts in sharing their knowledge not just with clients but with each other. Perks include:
- The chance to take ownership of your career within a rapidly evolving organisation; forge your own path!
- Consulting environment free from sales and utilisation targets
- Weekly company-wide retros and demos
- Opportunities to visit and present at key conferences and industry events
- Regular training and informal/social knowledge sharing sessions
- Company stickers!
Of course we also make sure that you are well looked after offering highly competitive salaries plus an ever growing benefits package which currently includes:
- Annual training allowance
- BUPA Healthcare and Employee Assistance Programme
- Shiny new MacBook Pro
- Contributory pension
- 25 days holiday